Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Day 1, Roast and Potatoes

Day one of my challenge. It's very easy this early in to create new meals. As I go along, it will become more difficult to keep the meals unique.


Chuck Roast with Baby Carrots and Russet Potatoes

2 lbs Chuck Roast

1 small bag baby carrots

4 medium russet potatoes

McCormick Beef Stew Seasoning Mix (comes in a single serve packet)

Place roast in slow cooker. Add seasoning mix on top of meat. Add carrots. Wash then cut potatoes into similar sized cubes, approximately 1 inch each. Add potatoes to slow cooker. Add enough water or beef broth to cover. Cook on high for 6 to 8 hours until meat is tender and falls apart and vegetables are soft.

Serves 5-6

I used Chuck Roast because it is a cheap cut of meat, I happened to catch it on sale for under $2 a pound. It is a fattier type of cut, but when slow cooked the fat is easier to remove from the meat. I also like to use red potatoes for a roast, but didn't have any on hand today. Beef broth adds a little extra flavor to the mix. When doing roasts I like to use the roast seasonings that come in a similar packet, but I didn't have it on hand today which is why I used the beef stew flavoring.

Flavor rating: great, my 3 year old son wanted seconds

Ease of preparation: Beginner level, just toss into slow cooker and forget until dinner time, just remember to start it in the morning before work.

No comments:

Post a Comment