Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Day 29, Beef Stroganoff

I was never big on stroganoff when I had the "helper" kind. One day I had from scratch stroganoff and I was hooked. The fresh sour cream is a big help.


Beef Stroganoff

1 tbsp olive oil
1 pound beef roast, cut into cubes
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 can (10-12 oz) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 soup can of milk
3-4 cups egg noodles
1 cup sour cream

Heat olive oil in a large frying pan to medium heat. Add onions and beef and cook 5-7 minutes, until beef is cooked thoroughly. Stir in soup and milk, continue cooking until hot.
Cook noodles as directed on packaging. Drain and cover to keep hot.
Stir in sour cream to meat mixture just before serving.
Serve meat mixture over noodles.

Serves 4

I forgot to dry my meat, so it didn't brown as nicely as it could have. I used whole wheat noodles instead of regular egg noodles; it is a healthier noodle and, in my opinion, tastes better too. Once a noodle is covered in sauce, you can hardly taste the difference between the whole wheat and the white kind. This is a good under 30 minutes meal.

Flavor Rating: Good, I like the fresh ingredients.

Ease of Preparation: Easy, the hardest part was cutting the onions without crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment