Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 35, Chili

Today was another day of wanting to get warm. Spicy chili does the trick.


Spicy Hamburger Chili

1 pound hamburger
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can or 1 cup dry soaked kidney beans, drained
1 can chili ready diced tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis
1 packet McCormick lower sodium chili mix

Brown hamburger and cook onions in a large frying pan; drain and rinse. Add hamburger mixture, kidney beans, seasoning packet and tomatoes in a medium slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Serves 6-8

This was a spicy mixture. If you don't like your chili too spicy either omit the spice packet or use plain tomatoes. I like slow cooking my chili to let the flavors mingle. The longer the flavors sit together, the better they taste. This is good with garlic bread as pictured or with corn bread. Corn bread would have been my first choice to go with it, but I didn't have a box of Jiffy mix sitting around today. I think I finally hit on a good chili today; sometimes I add too many beans, other times I've not had enough spices. Using the spice packet helps me so I don't have to measure out specific spices.

Flavor Rating: Great, a filling mix that warms you on a chilly day.

Ease of Preparation: Easy, I even had onions chopped up from the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment