Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 36, BBQ Chicken Calzones

This was made because I love the combination of BBQ chicken and pizza. Papa Murphy's makes this combination as a seasonal pizza, but seeing that this is the wrong season for me to have one of my favorite pizzas I had to make it myself.


BBQ Chicken Calzones

1 box Jiffy pizza mix
1/2 cup hot water
3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
3-4 tbsp barbecue sauce
1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice, I used Colby jack
1/4 cup red onion, sliced

Cut chicken into thin strips. Cook in a large frying pan 4-7 minutes, until no longer pink. Add barbecue sauce to chicken and mix to coat. Prepare Jiffy pizza crust as specified on packaging. Do not pre-cook crust. Cut crust into 4 equal portions. Form into ovals; add chicken, onions and cheese on one half of each oval. Fold crust over toppings and fold edges up over themselves. Bake for 18-20 minutes at 425 degrees F.

Serves 4

I use KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. I have tried many different ones and find this one to be my favorite. I didn't have flour to knead the crust with today so I used Bisquick. I think it altered the taste a little bit, but when in a pinch, it works. I like making these into little calzones because they can be put into the fridge and reheated the next day for lunch like a Hot Pocket.

Flavor Rating: Good, the filling was great, but the crust was from an old box.

Ease of Preparation: Moderate, if you haven't made crust before, it can be a little tricky.

No comments:

Post a Comment