Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 37, Meatloaf

I had a new spice packet to use for my meatloaf tonight. It's interesting to try new things, but I think I'll be sticking to my old way of making meatloaf next time.

Meatloaf
1 pound hamburger
1 McCormick meatloaf spice packet
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 egg


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, mix bread crumbs, milk, egg, onion and spice packet together. Let set for a minute until bread crumbs have absorbed the moisture. Knead hamburger into mixture until thoroughly blended. Form meat into a loaf on tinfoil that has been poked with small holes to allow the fat to drip off of loaf. Set on a pan with a raised insert to allow for the fat to drip off. Form a boat with the tinfoil. Bake for an hour. Check the center at an hour to see if done, if not bake for up to an additional 15 minutes.

Serves 6

I made potatoes with this dish, but I baked them in the oven also. I washed the skins then poked holes in them. I wrapped them in tinfoil and set in a baking pan then cooked for a little over an hour. The spice packet I chose to use with this didn't taste as good as some recipes I ahve used in the past. I think the version I used just onions and A1 steak sauce with it tasted the best so far. This is the first time I've formed the loaf then cooked it on tinfoil instead of stuffing it into a bread pan and cooked it. I like baking it this way instead because it's not cooking in it's own fat the whole time, but it still turned out very moist because of letting the bread crumbs soak up the milk.

Flavor Rating: OK, the spice packet didn't thrill me, but it was still edible.

Ease of Preparation: Moderate, you'll get messy. Take off your rings before thrusting your hands into the hamburger.

No comments:

Post a Comment