Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 38, Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

It's going to be a long soup season. Soup makes everything feel warmer on a chilly day. This may seem similar to my Chicken Noodle soup because I used similar spices, but I tried a couple of new ones too.


Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 bag baby cut carrots, cut into bite sized pieces, about 1 cup
1 cup peas
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
2 bay leaves
6 cups chicken broth (2 boxes worth)
1/2 cup wild rice

Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. In a soup pot, cook on medium until cooked through. Add vegetables and cook for 5 minutes. Add all spices except bay leaves. Add broth, bring to a boil. Add wild rice, bring back up to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Add bay leaves. Cook for 45 minutes to an hour, until vegetables are tender and rice is cooked. Remove bay leaves before serving.

Serves 8

I like wild rice, but there aren't that many things to do with it. It can be used in soups or as a side. I'm a fan of home made chicken soup, I've never cared for canned soup. I plan on trying to do onion soup one of these days, but I haven't figured out how to properly caramelize the onions yet. I do not use any oil when cooking this because the chicken breasts are quite moist when I throw them in the pot. I always thaw them in warm water just before I cook them. I know all the professional chefs would reprimand me for that, but I'm cooking them within 15 minutes of taking them out of the freezer.

Flavor Rating: Great, the spice combination tasted really good today.

Ease of Preparation: Moderate, cooking the vegetables before boiling everything gives it a better taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment