Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 41, Orange Glazed Pork Chops

Yep, pork chops again, but it's a different glaze today. I'm still going strong with different dinners. It's starting to get harder to think up different things, but I know I'll be able to do it for another week. I am trying to plan out each week before it comes so I don't have to stress about it that day. It makes it easier to have the week planned out. If you don't have a lot of time to cook dinners, plan them out on the weekend and do some of the cooking on the weekend.


Orange Glazed Pork Chops

1 tbsp olive oil
1 pound boneless pork chops, cut 1 inch think
2/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lower sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp cold water
1 tsp cornstarch

Heat oil to medium heat in a large frying pan. Dry pork chops with a paper towel before frying them. Cook pork chops for 5-7 minutes per side until cooked through; remove from skillet.
Add to warm skillet orange juice, soy sauce and brown sugar. Boil for 2 minutes stirring to incorporate sugar and brown bits from bottom of pan. In a small cup, mix together cold water and cornstarch until no lumps remain. Add to sauce and continue to cook about one minute more until thickened. Return pork to skillet and flip to cover with glaze.
Serve each chop with additional glaze spooned over top.

Serves 4

I thought I had orange juice the other day, but found out that it was not true. I went shopping yesterday and got some more so I could try out this recipe that I wanted to do the other day. I like to browse AllRecipes.com for new recipes and that is where I found the original recipe. Their version called for white sugar, but I decided to use brown sugar instead. I'm not sure if it would have tasted better with white sugar, but I have always like the combination of brown sugar with oranges. I even will cut up oranges and spread butter and brown sugar on toast as a dessert.

Flavor Rating: Great, the husband liked it better than the honey mustard pork we had the other day.

Ease of Preparation: Moderate, cooking with oil can cause splatters, I used a lid to help keep the heat in to help cook the pork faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment