Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 46, Biscuits and Pork Gravy

I had some new bake from home biscuits and wanted to try them. I also have never made pork gravy before, so today was an experiment. Fortunately the end result turned out well.


Biscuits and Pork Gravy

1 pound ground pork sausage
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
ground pepper to taste

Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Remove browned sausage to a large bowl, leaving the drippings in the skillet.
Combine flour with drippings and stir constantly until golden brown.
Gradually whisk milk into flour mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add sausage and pepper to gravy and simmer an additional 2-4 minutes, until heated through. Remove from heat, mixture will continue to thicken while it cools.
Serve over biscuits of your choice.

Serves 6-8

I had issues making the flour be a thickener rather than lumps. The recipe I took this from wanted me to use 3 tbsp of bacon grease, but I didn't have any. I added the first 2 cups of milk, then removed the lumps to a small metal strainer and pressed it through the holes into the milk mixture. Then I added the 3rd cup of milk and simmered until it was the consistency I wanted. It turned out good in the end, but wasn't the way I thought it should have been made. I suppose I just need to work at making rues for my gravies. Don't forget to continue stirring the milk while it's cooking or it will burn.

Flavor Rating: Excellent, this was a really good gravy.

Ease of Preparation: Hard, between not burning the flour or making lumps and not burning the milk, it keeps you on your toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment