Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 49, Pan Fried Fish

After eating out all weekend, it was time to make dinner again. I'm actually surprised at how much I've been able to eat out this month. I asked my husband- chicken or fish? His choice was fish. We don't have fish too often as I am scared to overcook them, but it turned out pretty well today.


Pan Fried Fish

4 Tilapia Fillets
1 cup fish fry seasoning
2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil

Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Rinse thawed fish and shake off excess water. Place fillets one at a time into seasoning, flip over and coat thoroughly. Place coated fish into heated oil 2 at a time, cooking for 3-4 minutes a side, until coating is golden brown and fish flakes easily with a fork. Repeat with second two fillets. Place cooked fish on a paper towel lined plate to soak up excess grease. Serve warm.

Serves 4

Garlic Seasoned Potatoes

5-6 medium potatoes, scrubbed clean and cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cubed potatoes and onion in a lined 10x8 inch baking pan. Drizzle olive oil over potatoes; add seasonings evenly over potatoes. Mix to coat evenly. Cover with additional tin foil and bake for 45 minutes until potatoes are tender.

Serves 6

I don't normally make fish, but I think I did fairly well in frying them without burning them. I'm always worried that they won't be cooked through. Fish doesn't take long to cook plus these were only a half inch thick. They turned out crispy but not overcooked.
I have made potatoes in this fashion with the Lipton soup mixes, but since I read the label and found msg on it, I decided to try my own mixture of seasonings so I had control over the taste without having tons of additives. Oven baking them allows them to be healthier than if I were to pan fry them too. I usually add lots of butter when I throw them in a frying pan.

Flavor Rating: Good, I would have liked some more seasonings on the fish. The kind I picked up was just corn meal.

Ease of Preparation: Easy, be sure your pan is heated before adding the fish so it turns out crispy.

No comments:

Post a Comment