Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 53, Tomato Garlic Roast

Today was a slow cooker kind of day. I have done a roast before, but I used different ingredients on this roast than I did the last one.


Tomato Garlic Beef Roast

2 pounds beef roast
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups (1 box) beef broth
5 medium potatoes

Wash, peel and dice potatoes. Add to bottom of large slow cooker. Place roast on top of potatoes. Add tomatoes and garlic on top of roast. Add broth, enough to cover potatoes. Set to high and cook 5-7 hours until potatoes are tender and roast is cooked enough to cut with a fork.

Serves 5-6

The tomatoes give this roast a good flavor. I like having different ways to make the same thing. I used a chuck roast, but this was a fatty cut. It was also a cheap cut, and slow roasting it helps to make it easier to remove the fat from the meat. If you cook it long enough, the roast falls apart which makes it easier to eat if you're a small child or an older adult with bad teeth. I have found another roast topping, so I will be able to have roast at least one more time this year.
If you are going to be at work for 8 or more hours, you could cook it on low and it will be dome when you get home. I just happen to not start dinner until 10 am on slow cooker days and need it to be done by 5, so I cook on high.

Flavor Rating: Great, I like this tomato / garlic combination.

Ease of Preparation: Easy, just throw it in before work and you'll have dinner waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment