Monday, January 25, 2010

Day 56, Enchiladas

I've never eaten enchiladas before and this is the first time I made them. They turned out ok, but I found out why I don't eat them.


Enchiladas

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 McCormick Enchilada sauce mix
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water
8 6-inch flour tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Clean fat off of chicken breasts and cut into pieces. Place in a pan with enough water to cover; boil for about a half hour, until chicken is tender enough to shred. Using 2 forks, take chicken out of water and place in a shallow container; shred. Make enchilada sauce according to packaging. Mix 1/2 cup of sauce with shredded chicken. Heat tortillas according to packaging; dip into sauce to cover. Divide chicken into tortillas equally, about 1/4 cup chicken per tortilla. Place into a 11x7 inch pan seam down. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas. Add cheese equally over top of enchiladas. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 15 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbly.

Serves 8

You could add sour cream over the enchiladas for added flavor. I will probably never make this again, but not because of flavor problems. I made these with 4 10-inch whole wheat tortillas instead of the 8 smaller ones. The flavor was interesting, but I think for my tastes, I'll order fajitas well before I'd order enchiladas at a Mexican restaurant. If you like Mexican food, these would be good for you. You could use leftover rotisserie chicken also to save time; be sure to shred it while it's still warm before you store it. If you prefer, you could also use ground beef or ground turkey as directed on the packaging.

Flavor Rating: Good, just not my taste preference.

Ease of Preparation: Moderate, I ended up burning my fingers with the hot sauce when I was dipping them.

No comments:

Post a Comment