Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 58, Mozzarella Tomato Salad

Sorry I didn't update last night, we got home late and had dinner out. Mandarin Buffet in Coon Rapids was our destination. It was ok, but the food was a little overcooked last night. I am going to instead share what I had for lunch today.

Mozzarella Roll Salad

1 (16 oz) mozzarella roll (you can find both whole mozzarella and unrollable mozzarella at this size, use the unrollable mozzarella)
1 package fresh basil, about 3 stems worth
1 medium tomato, sliced thinly
Balsamic Vinaigrette salad dressing, about 1 tbsp per plate

Open mozzarella roll and unroll, plastic side down. Wash and dry basil, remove leaves from stems. Place tomatoes on mozzarella; add basil on top of tomatoes.

Roll mozzarella, removing plastic from backside, keeping tomatoes and basil between mozzarella.


Slice roll into 1/2 inch slices and place on a plate. Place 5-6 slices per serving plate.

Drizzle dressing over slices and serve.

Serves 3-4

I found a similar flavor at Panera during one summer. I think it's a seasonal salad for them. Usually they just chop tomatoes into bite size pieces as well as the mozzarella. I happened upon the rollable mozzarella, so that's how I made it today. I prefer the Balsamic Vinaigrette, but my husband prefers Raspberry Vinaigrette on his salad. Either way a vinaigrette is the best flavor to top this salad.

Flavor Rating: Good, I think the rolls are a bit too much cheese for me, but I do love the salad in the chopped up mode.

Ease of Preparation: Moderate, it's kind of tricky getting the tomatoes to stay still within the roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment