Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 83, Cashew Chicken

I had a coupon for the Wanchai Ferry box mix and wanted to try it. I'm not sure if I'll do it again because I tend to burn my meat when I use coating on it.

Cashew Chicken

1 pound chicken
1 box Wanchai Ferry Cashew Chicken mix
2 cups vegetables such as carrots, pea pods or sweet peppers
2 tbsp cooking oil

Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces; dry thoroughly. Place chicken into a resealable bag; add dry mix from box. Shake until chicken is well coated. Make rice as directed on box. Heat oil in a large frying pan, add chicken when oil is hot. Add vegetables at same time as chicken if heating from fresh, add vegetables 2 minutes into cooking if from frozen. Cook as directed on box, add sauce package and heat for 2 minutes, until sauce starts to thicken.
Serve chicken mixture over rice.

Serves 3-4

I have a hard time cooking anything that has a coating and managed to burn this one too. I think I didn't wait long enough to allow the oil to heat plus I added frozen vegetables along with the chicken which brought the oil temperature down. Perhaps having heated the vegetables separately and using a bit more oil would have helped me. If only I owned a wok, stir frying would be a little easier. I was just going to julienne some carrots, but the ones I had in my refrigerator were bad so I ended up tossing those and using the rest of the peas and carrots I got for another recent recipe.

Flavor Rating: Great, despite burning the spice mix to the bottom of the pan, the meat came out relatively unharmed.

Ease of Preparation: Moderate, I'm still working on proper oil temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment