Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 88, Chicken Jambalaya

I made this from another box mix. I haven't ever had it before and would like to make it from scratch sometime, but making something from a box helps me know what it's supposed to taste like the first time.

Chicken Jambalaya

1 pound chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 box Zatarain's Jambalaya mix
2 cups water
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce

Cook chicken for 8-10 minutes, until no longer pink in the middle. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer for 25 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Fluff with a fork before serving.

Serves 6

I made the variation on the side with the tomato sauce instead of the all water version on the back of the box. This was also the lower sodium version that I picked up. Since the vegetables were dehydrated, I couldn't tell what they tasted like. Had I used fresh vegetables, I might have had more of a flavor of the vegetables. Having never had okra before, I'm not sure what they'll taste like. I might just have to try some someday.

Flavor Rating: Great, not as spicy as the other Zatartain's mix we had the other day which made it better for our midwestern taste.

Ease of Preparation: Easy, I had to add just a little bit more water because the rice was still a little hard when I checked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment