Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 111, Potato Chip Chicken

I found this recipe in my cooking club magazine, the February/March issue. I altered it slightly to make it with chicken breasts instead of bone-in wings.

Potato Chip Chicken
Taken from Cooking Club's Crispy Potato Wings recipe

8 oz potato chips, I used Archer Farms Cheddar Cheese chips
1/2 tsp garlic powder (the original recipe calls for garlic salt, I don't own any)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper
6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 pounds chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces

Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line two large rimmed baking sheets with foil, line with cooling racks. Spray racks with cooking spray.
Crush potato chips in a resealable plastic bag with a rolling pin (you should have 2 1/2 to 3 cups finely crushed chips). Place in a shallow bowl or pie pan; stir in garlic powder, paprika and pepper. Place oil in a small bowl. Lightly dip chicken in oil; roll and press into chip mixture. Place on racks.
Bake 25-30 minutes or until chicken is golden brown and no longer pink in the center, rotating baking sheets halfway through.

Serves 8-10

If you decide to make this with drummies like the original recipe, you'll have to bake them 45 minutes. I prefer boneless chicken pieces; they're quicker to cook than bone-in chicken. The original recipe also called for plain potato chips, but I felt like cheesy ones and that also happened to be the chips I had in the house at the time. I think that you'd taste the extra seasonings if you use plain chips. I didn't have garlic salt, but also think that the chips were plenty salty and didn't want to add more salt to the dinner. I didn't crush my chips as finely as I think they wanted me to, so I had big flakes still. Had I had to bake them for another 20 minutes, I would have had burnt dinner.
I also made couscous with our meal today. I just took 1 cup chicken stock, brought it to a boil added a little butter (about 1 tbsp), took it off the heat and added the couscous. I added some honey glazed almond slices and julienned carrots to the mix. It turned out pretty good and even my husband liked it this time.

Flavor Rating: Great, I liked the cheesy chips on this chicken. Try your favorite chips for a different flavor.

Ease of Preparation: Moderate, messy fingers and needing to crush my chips longer gives it this rating today.

No comments:

Post a Comment