Monday, March 29, 2010

Day 114, Matzo Ball Soup

Due to the holidays, I thought I'd try a new type of dinner: Kosher. Thanks to my Jewish friend for recommending this to me.

Matzo Ball Soup
from the box mix

1 box Matzo Ball & Soup Mix
2 eggs
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/2 quarts cold water (approx 6 cups)

According to box directions: In a small bowl, blend 2 eggs and 2 tbsp of vegetable oil. Add matzo ball mix and stir with fork until evenly mixed. Place bowl in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Add soup mix to 2 1/2 quarts water and bring to a boil in a 4 quart pot. Wet hands and form batter into balls approximately 1 inch in diameter. Drop into boiling soup; cover tightly; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Serves 4

When I made this I read it as 2.5 cups and ended up having to add more water. Maybe I'll have to read it better next time. I have a conversion chart on my refrigerator and didn't look at it for the cup to quart conversion. The matzo balls swell in size when cooking, so that one inch ball swells to three times its size. I found it to be a tasty grain and ended up picking up another box of the matzo ball mix, but not the soup mix. Next time I'll have to put them in homemade chicken soup with just vegetables and chicken.

Flavor Rating: Good, I think it would have been better with home made soup instead of the mix, but I loved the matzo balls.

Ease of Preparation: Easy, be sure to wet your hands for easier handling of the matzo.

No comments:

Post a Comment