Monday, March 29, 2010

Day 116, Savory Mint Lamb Chops

With Easter coming up, I have been in the mood for lamb. I found a cheap cut at Target last week and went with the $5 a pound shoulder cut rather than the $10 a pound chops.

Savory Mint Lamb Chops
Bon Appetit Magazine October 2006

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 (1 to 1 1/2 inch thick) lamb loin chops (about 5 oz each), trimmed

Place olive oil, chopped fresh mint, minced garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper and black pepper in a resealable bag; mix well. Place chops in same bag and seal making sure mixture coats all sides of chops. Let stand 10 minutes.
Heat oven to broil. Place chops on a broiler pan; broil chops until brown and crusty, 4 minutes a side for medium-rare. Arrange chops on a platter, garnish with additional mint sprigs and serve.

Serves 4

I couldn't allow myself to spend the high price for the good chops, so I went for the shoulder cut. I got about 2 pounds worth and the seasoning mixture was enough for that amount. Strawberries were on sale also, so that was a treat for the family today. The cayenne pepper made this a little spicy, but it wasn't so overpowering that it was unbearable. If you don't like spicy, omit the cayenne. I'm looking for a mint jelly recipe to go with lamb, so more googling is to be done. I actually had a hard time finding lamb because it is so expensive and doesn't sell well at the grocery store, but fortunately Target had some.

Flavor Rating: Great, I like the spiciness, but my husband thought it was too spicy.

Ease of Preparation: Easy, broiling it was easier than frying it would have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment