Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 95, Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole

I really thought this was going to be easier to make, but I suppose I needed to have the quick minute rice to have everything cook thoroughly.


Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole

1 can Cheddar Cheese soup
1 1/3 cups chicken stock
3/4 cup uncooked regular long grain white rice
2 cups fresh or frozen vegetables of your choice
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Stir the soup, chicken stock, rice and vegetables in a 12 x 8 inch baking dish. top with chicken, season chicken as desired, cover. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until done. Top with cheese.

Serves 6

I used my large frying pan to cook this in as I didn't have any aluminum foil to cover a baking dish today. I'm not sure if having the hot dish in a smaller pan made the difference or the fact I used good rice that normally takes 45 minutes to boil on top of the stove, but the rice still wasn't done an hour and 15 minutes into cooking it. I also cut up the chicken and it wasn't cooked all the way in the 45 minutes the recipe said it should take. I think if I were to make this dish again, I would cook the rice in the chicken stock before placing it in the baking dish. The chicken either should be baked whole on top of the rice dish or cooked in a frying pan before adding it to the dish. For an easy recipe, this took forever to make and I still wasn't satisfied with the dish. I substituted some ingredients from the original recipe so click on the link above to see the exact original recipe. I also placed the cheese on top right away knowing that cheese can be good in the oven for an hour as long as it's covered and that part went well, but it ended up being mixed in when I had to simmer the mixture to finish cooking the rice.

Flavor Rating: Good, once it was fully cooked, the ingredients were still a good combination.

Ease of Preparation: Moderate, it should be an easy rating, but I had so many issues that I can't honestly give it the easy rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment