Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 118, Easy Stovetop Mac N' Cheese

I had the hankering for mac n cheese but didn't' want to make it out of a box. I found this recipe at myrecipes.com after googling for recipes. Easiest recipe ever!

Stovetop Mac and Cheese

1 1/4 cup uncooked elbow noodles (about 6 oz)
1 cup lowfat milk (I used skim, the original recipe calls for 1%)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups (5 oz) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup croutons, crushed

Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting fat and salt; drain. Combine cold milk and flour in a medium saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes, until thickened, stirring constantly with whisk. Remove from heat; add cheese and mix until melted and combined thoroughly. Add pasta; toss to coat. Let stand 4 minutes. Divide into serving bowls and sprinkle crushed croutons over pasta mixture.

Serves 4

The original recipe had me making fresh toasted bread for the topping. I have said before, I am a lazy cook and will find easy shortcuts to help me get dinner on the table quickly for my children who claim to be dying of hunger all the time. I was able to use Barilla Plus elbow noodles to get in some of my whole grains for the week. Barilla happens to be my preferred pasta, but use whichever you choose. Whole wheat pasta is not as gritty as it used to be, so feel free to use it under sauces. It does have a little different taste, but it isn't big enough to notice as being a bad taste. I used mild cheddar and thought that the sharp cheddar would make it taste more like traditional mac n cheese in a box. Next time I make it, it will be with the strong cheese.

Flavor Rating: Great, the cheese makes the difference, use stronger cheese or you might be tasting the flour.

Ease of Preparation: Easy, be sure to keep stirring the milk mixture so it doesn't burn; you can tell when it has thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment