Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 119, Chicken with Sweet and Sour Sauce

I picked up a new brand of sweet and sour sauce and had to try it. It was better than some of the ones I've tried before. The brand today happened to be Fa Ling sweet and sour sauce that comes in a glass jar. It has fewer ingredients than some of the others I looked at.

Chicken with Sweet and Sour Sauce

1 cup dry brown rice, cooked as directed on package
1 pound chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cups frozen broccoli
1 jar sweet and sour sauce

Cook chicken over medium heat until no longer pink on outside. Place broccoli on top and heat until hot, stirring as needed. Pour sauce over mixture and stir until coated. Serve over warm rice.

Serves 4

Traditionally Sweet and Sour Chicken has a breading on it, but I'm not one that likes breading on everything. I prefer my stir frys to be breading free. This is a simple recipe even though I did manage to burn the chicken because I wasn't paying attention to my cooking as well as I should have. If your mixture is becoming dry as you are cooking, feel free to add a little bit of broth to allow the chicken and broccoli to steam. I am able to cut out oil by adding broth or water to allow steaming instead of frying.

Flavor Rating: Great, this was a better sweet and sour sauce than some I've had.

Ease of Preparation: Easy, just don't walk away while cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment