Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 122, Taco Lasagna

This is a recipe I moderated from one I found on AllRecipes.com which was a pie rather than a lasagna. Once again I had to modify for what was in the house.


Taco Lasagna

1 pound ground turkey
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 bag (approx 1 lb) veggie mix (red bell pepper, onions, zucchini)
1 taco seasoning packet
1 cup shredded taco cheese
12 corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large frying pan, cook ground turkey until browned; drain if needed. Add seasoning mix and water as directed on packaging. Heat vegetables. Add tomatoes to turkey. Spray a 8x10 inch pan with non-stick spray. Place 4 tortillas on bottom of pan, add 1/2 meat mixture, 1/2 vegetable mixture, 1/3 cheese, 4 more tortillas, repeat. Top with remaining cheese. Bake covered for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and mixture is hot.

Serves 6-8

The original recipe I was looking at had rice as part of the ingredients, but I didn't want to have that many carbohydrates in one meal. My husband liked it and said I should make it again. I actually used 15 shells because I was using the broken ones in the center to fill the gaps. The top was crispy, but the shells on the inside ended up soft. I finally got some aluminum foil, but didn't use it on this recipe. I think that covering it would make the top less crispy, but don't know for sure. I used a vegetable mixture that had the three ingredients I listed above, but it also had green beans. We liked it with those vegetables, but try different ones you think would work better for you.

Flavor Rating: Great, good flavor, I like corn tortillas every once in a while.

Ease of Preparation: Moderate, you have to heat several things at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment