Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 108, Reuben Sandwiches

What to do with all those leftovers from St. Patrick's day? Well, throw it on bread and call it a sandwich.

Reuben Sandwiches

8 slices rye bread
4 slices Swiss cheese
1 pound shredded or thinly sliced corned beef
2 cups sauerkraut
4 tbsp Thousand Island dressing

Heat oven to broil. Heat sauerkraut in microwave 1 minute, until hot. Heat Corned beef in microwave 1 minute to 90 seconds, until hot. Spread Thousand Island dressing on 4 slices of bread. layer meat, sauerkraut, and cheese on bread. Top with other slices of bread. Place in oven 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted and bread is toasted. Serve warm.

Serves 4

I usually buy the sauerkraut that comes in a bag from the meat section instead of the canned version. Heating the meat and the sauerkraut before placing it on the bread helps to make a warm sandwich. Since I was bringing everything out of the refrigerator, it needed to be warmed or I would have had a cold center to my sandwich and my bread may have burned waiting for the center to warm. I used a full flavored cheese instead of the Baby Swiss I normally use. Had I used the Baby Swiss, it would have gotten lost between all the other strong flavors going on in this sandwich. I used the light rye for this sandwich, but a dark pumpernickel would have worked as well.

Flavor Rating: Great, a lot of strong flavors mingling in just the right order.

Ease of Preparation: Moderate, there are a couple of steps and you really have to watch so you don't burn your bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment