Monday, March 29, 2010

Day 117, Tuna Hot Dish

This is a recipe that I got from a recipe book from the government center. I made it healthier by adding Barilla Plus elbow noodles rather than regular white noodles. There was a new cornflakes made with honey I found for cheap this week, so that's what ended up on top.

Tuna Hot Dish

2 1/2 cups elbow noodles, dry
1 cup peas, frozen
1 can (10-12 oz) reduced sodium cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 (5 oz) cans tuna
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
3 cups cornflakes

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cook noodles according to packaging, adding peas during last 2 minutes of cooking time. Drain. Mix together soup, milk and garlic powder in a large bowl. Stir in noodles, peas, tuns and cheese. Pour into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Put cornflakes in a resealable bag. Crush using a rolling pin or the back of a dry measuring cup. Bake for 15 minutes. Top with crushed cornflakes; bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Serves 4-6

The original dish didn't have cheese added and only calls for one can of tuna. I added a second can and cheese because I like them. I wanted to add baby sweet peas, but they were out of them on the shelf, so I just picked up sweet peas. I don't like canned peas, they're too mushy and taste like the salt that preserves them. Frozen peas are just peas, no additives. I like frozen peas and I'm someone who would never eat peas at Moms' house. (Sorry Mom, I don't like canned peas.) You could add a carrot pea mixture or any mixed vegetable mix you like. Peas are just the vegetable that many people choose for this mixture. The Honey Cornflakes made it taste sweeter than if I had used regular cornflakes. It's a new cereal, so I don't know if everyone will be able to find them.

Flavor Rating: Great, I'm not normally one for cream of mushroom soup, but this needed it.

Ease of Preparation: Easy, even the kids could help mix this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment