Friday, April 2, 2010

Day 120, Texas Black Bean Soup

I found this recipe at AllRecipes.com but altered it for the ingredients I had in the house. I served it with a garlic pull apart I found at SuperTarget.

Texas Black Bean Soup

1 cup dry black beans, soaked overnight and drained
2 small cans (14.5 oz) or 1 large can (28 oz) petite diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup frozen corn
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder

In a slow cooker, combine all ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours, until heated through.

Serves 8

This ended up tasting like a vegetarian chili. I was looking for a soup and ended up with this. I don't feel the need for meat at every meal and this has a good amount of protein because of the beans. I love to slow cook my meals so I don't have to think about them just before dinner time every day. It was a little spicy because of the amount of chili powder, but not bad in the end. I think I will have to find another soup recipe, but having no food processor makes many recipes impossible. Maybe I'll have to try out my blender for some of those recipes I need to puree.

Flavor Rating: Good, more of a chili than a soup.

Ease of Preparation: Easy, just toss it all in and forget, but be sure to soak your beans beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment