Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 126, Ham and Bean Soup

With all that leftover ham, I had to make something with it. Since nothing was open except WalMart on Easter, I had to stop there to pick the mix up because I forgot to pick the mix up before Easter. I found a 12 bean soup mix and that's what I ended up making.

12 Bean and Ham Soup

1 bag 12 bean soup mix
6 cups chicken stock or water
juice of one lemon, approx 1-2 tbsp
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound ham, cut into bite sized pieces

Soak beans overnight according to packaging; drain. Add beans, chicken stock and ham; simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and lemon and simmer for 20-30 minutes more.

Serves 10-12

I didn't mind the soup for the first several bites, but it ended up being way too many beans for me. I'm just not a bean person, so my husband has plenty of leftovers for lunches. I ended up giving the kids the backup dinner of peanut butter sandwiches, they couldn't eat it at all. At least my husband liked it.

Flavor Rating: Ok, the lemon and garlic helped, I didn't add the soup flavoring mix, I'm just not a bean person.

Ease of Preparation: Moderate, I ended up burning the soup to the bottom of my pot, but the packaging called for 2 1/2 hours of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment