Sunday, December 20, 2009

Day 20, Mini Quiches

I looked for 2 inch tart shells, but could only find 1 inch mini fillo shells. This would be a good appetizer. I suggest spraying the baking sheet with cooking spray before putting the shells on the tray or you may end up having the shells stick like I did.


Mini Spinach Quiches

30 mini fillo shells (2 boxes)
6 eggs
1/2 cup half and half
1 (9 oz) box cooked frozen spinach
1/2 cup bacon pieces
2 cups cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Place fillo shells on baking pan that has been sprayed with non stick spray. Heat spinach according to directions on package. Drain spinach and finely chop. In a large bowl combine eggs and half and half. Mix thoroughly. Add cheese, bacon pieces and cooled, chopped spinach. Mix together until everything is combined equally. Place mixture in heaping tablespoons into shells. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until cheese is melted and eggs are cooked thoroughly. Test doneness with a toothpick; place toothpick in centers and if it comes out cleanly they are done. Serve warm.

Serves approximately 7

I tried to make a full sized quiche once and the center never cooked all the way through. I ended up microwaving it after an hour and 20 minutes. The recipe I has said to check it at an hour, but it still had to finish cooking. If anyone knows how to get the center of a quiche to cook, let me know. I like the cooked spinach in this recipe, it hardly had any taste at all. The bacon and cheddar cheese were the main flavor ingredients in this dish. I think I will end up freezing them so I can serve them on Christmas eve to my parents when they come over. They are a good little appetizer at this size. I don't have to wait forever for them to finish cooking.

Flavor Rating: Good, I'm not sure what to add to make the flavor pop, but I think it could have used something.

Ease of Preparation: Easy, remember to let the spinach cool before trying to squeeze out the remaining liquid, I almost burned my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment